Sun Yat Sens Penang Base
at 120 Armenian Street,Penang, Malaysia
SOUTHEAST ASIAN HEADQUARTERS, 1910-1911
was a political party formed in 1905 in Tokyo to agitate for the
Chinese revolution. The party adopted Dr. Suns Three Principles
of the People.
the Tongmenghui had its Southeast Asian (Nanyang) headquarters
in Singapore. In 1910, the headquarters was transferred to Penang.
the Penang branch of the Tongmenghui was formed with 22 members.
a reading club called the Philomathic Union (bing chen yuet soo
pao ser) was established.
the Philomathic Unions first premises, 94 Dato Kramat
Road, the Penang branch of the Tongmenghui operated as an underground
organisation under the cover of a registered business Teong Wah
all three entities moved to 120 Armenian Street. The next year,this
address served as the Southeast Asian headquarters of the Tongmenghui.
old photograph of 120 Armenian Street, reproduced from the Philomatic
Union souvenir programme.
Uprising was planned in 1910 through the Penang Conference
convened by Dr. Sun.
significant meetings were recorded, the 'Penang Conference' at
Dr. Suns office in Dato Kramat Road, and the emergency
meeting at the Tongmenghui headquarters in 120 Armenian Street.
Suns office at Dato Kramat Road.
WAH JIT POH
at 120 Armenian Street was the first premises of what is today
one of the worlds oldest Chinese newspaper.
the Chinese newspaper the Kwong Wah Pao, a propaganda organ of
the Tongmenghui, moved from Rangoon to Penang. Dr. Sun Yat Sen,
Goh Say Eng and several others in Penang relaunched the paper
as a daily, and renamed it Kwong Wah Yit Poh (Glorious Chinese
Hu Hanmin and founding members of the Kwong
Wah Yit Poh. The KWYP later moved to premises at Chulia Street.